Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Envoy Esteem Journey Begins

11-29-11

Each session of the United States Supreme Court begins with the Marshall's announcement:
"Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! All persons having business before the Honorable, the Supreme Court of the United States, are admonished to draw near and give their attention, for the Court is now sitting. God save the United States and this Honorable Court!"

Then the fun begins. In my first oral argument in 1981, Chief Justice Warren Burger stated "You may commence argument Mr. Williams". For one hour, nine U. S. Supreme Court Justices fired questions from a high panel in front of me stretching 180 degrees. I heard every question and identified each Justice as I answered (O'Connor, Marshall, White, Stevens, Brennan, Blackmun, Rehnquist, Burger, Powell). A forty year legal career included two successful trips to that Court and over one hundred other appellate arguments.

That would be impossible today since even with hearing aids, my severe hearing loss, suffered late in my career, makes it impossible to identify the source of the sound or to fully understand the words.

Now, I need to hear "that's good" for a putt on the golf course, the voices of my grandchildren ranging in age from 3 to 17, dialogue in theatre plays, golf partners at lunch, friends at dinner and my wife, not so much (just kidding!). I can't use the phone, can't understand clerks, fail to return "Good Morning" greetings. Inconveniences, yes. I recognize the health burdens of so many others and my limitations pale in comparison.

I attended several Envoy Esteem seminars and studied every FDA submittal and transcript. I read medical journals and the Envoy Medical business plan. I found patient blogs to see if this could be the solution for my diminished quality of life.
I am convinced it is and am headed from my Florida home to my home from 1973-2007, Chicago, for meetings and surgery commencing November 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment